Monday, September 3, 2012

Movie Monday #16: 2006 vs. Present



We are less than a year away from the theatrical release of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones and the hype for the adaptation of the internationally best selling series by Cassandra Clare will only continue to grow as the release draws nearer.

I’ve banded together with other Mortal Instruments fansites (TMI Source, Mundie Moms,TMI Examiner and TMI News en Espanol) for a weekly feature called Movie Monday.

Each Monday leading up to the August 23, 2013, release of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, we will take a look at a scene, moment, detail, etc. and give our opinions on how we think it will be interpreted in the big screen adaptation.

This week we talk about the differences in setting the movie in 2006 vs present day. Here's my take on this topic:

Amber, TMI Institute: When reading City of Bones the first time, which was back in 2008 if I remember correctly, I was not really aware that the Shadowhunters were living in 2006. When I thought about this post, I decided to put my theory to the test, so I asked my 11-year-old daughter who just read CoB if she knew what year the book was set. She also presumed it was present day. I think the pop culture references in the book are still very recognizable to today’s movie goers, and that the book is written in a style where time is not a major factor. I don’t think putting the movie in the year 2012 or 2013 will make a big deal in the story line. I believe they will make the movie time frame present day.

Read the rest of the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...